Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Butler Institute of American Art

One of my favorite current day artists, Sherrie McGraw, is having a show at the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio.  Since I was going to Ohio and Kentucky anyway, I just traveled a little further north.

The Butler is a wonderful art museum with many works in the permanent collections and exhibitions that I throughly enjoyed.

A few of the highlights of the permanent collection include:

"By the Drovers Inn" by George Glenn Newell

A painting of a "Lady with a Parasol"  attributed to James McNeil Whislter




"Georgia" by Chuck CloseThis large work (56"x 45") of the artist's daughter is made from paper pulp- think flatten out spit balls.







"In Flanders Field-where soldiers sleep and poppies grow"
b
y Robert William Vonnoh (1858-1933)

"Three White Houses" by David Armstrong (1947-1998)


The insitute also has several Elbridg Ayer Burbank Native American Portraits done in sienna colored pencil that where done in the early 1900's.


"Feeding Caitlin" by Janet Fish (1938-)

There have several Andrew Wyeth paintings.  My favorite in their collection is "Cowbirds" but I haven't been able to find an image of it.


I'll save the three exhibits that were on display  for another post.





No comments:

Post a Comment