Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Troy Crisswell - Artist of the month




Every month I am going to feature an artist whose work inspires me.  I want to learn their stories and share them with you.


The artist featured this month is Troy Crisswell-  all of the art work feature in this post is his.  In 2010 I had the pleasure of taking a workshop he taught at the Huntsville Art League.  That's when I first tried the two color value portraits featured in my last post.

I don't have one of his originals yet but I do have a copy of his book- "Thoughts on Painting".  Both the art and philosophy are very interesting.





"Self-Portrait" by Troy Crisswell



 How did you get started painting?
I first started like most people as a kid with crayons, then started again at about 10 or 12 drawing strange and hideous faces and heads with pen and ink, moved on to painting and peaked out at 18 or 19. I started again at age 26 for real, teaching myself how to do things “right”. Now, at 60,  I know there is no “right”….

What inspires you?
Mostly figures, but not necessarily.


by Troy Crisswell


Describe your techniques, favorite paint color,  and/or favorite thing in your studio.
Well, now the techniques are in my book, plus, there ever-changing…not very helpful, huh? No favorite colors – monochrome is as good as anything to me. No favorite “thing” either, but I would like a natural human skull if anybody out there has one to get rid of.

What’s the one thing you wished you know starting out or had learned sooner?  It’s the same thing – everybody is taught by parents, school and society that there is a right way to do things – anything…that’s garbage folks.

 If you could spend the day with any artist living or dead, who would it be and why?
None, really – I would probably get on their nerves, and they on mine…I admire many artists work, but not always their different quirks and personalities – mine included.


The question that is usually expensive for me- What is your favorite art book or DVD and why?
Once again – I own many art books , but no favorites – I wouldn’t lock myself into such a thing…I do like certain painters though – Rembrandt, Manet, DeChirio, Picasso/Braque Cubism, Dali, Maxfield Parrish, Winslow Homer, Hopper, and certain illustrators of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Where can we see your art- galleries, website, etc.? 


In Huntsville, I’ll be at Monte Sano Art Show in September – bring any wealthy art collector friends along.
(He also teaches a weekly class at Alabama Art Supply in Birmingham)

Check out his music video at 

Anything else you want to share?
 Well, plenty….watch for the next book.


by Troy Crisswell

No comments:

Post a Comment