Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Military Tattoo





I am very fortunate to live in a country that is a democracy with free speech and the associated obligations that come along with that.  It has been a honor to send care packages to the people who are serving in our military.   In the past I have been able to do this because I knew a son or brother of someone serving.  Without having that personal connection, I had to do a little searching to make that connection.  There are many organizations out there that connection with our military personnel- this is one that I have chosen to work with 

Regardless of politics (and I really don't want there to be a discussion of politics on this blog), I hope that you will join me in a finding some small (or big) way to support our troops.

Thanks for listening...

Now to the painting part...
This was the first time I included a large number of people (in kilts no less) in a painting.  Figuring out how to do it was one of those easier said than done things.  However, once I actually started thinking the right way- just think big shapes not individual people- it became much simpler.  For example I didn't paint the individual kilts, I painted the big mass of kilts from the same regiment.

It was also interesting to figure out how to push the values to read night even with the dramatic lighting of the castle.  Back to that values thing again.

If you have the opportunity to visit Edinburgh, I would highly recommend it.  The Military Tattoo happens during the summer festival - August time frame.  The castle is lit up very dramatically, the bands wonderful and just a great experience.  There is even a free preview concert in the park at the base of the castle in the afternoons.




1 comment:

  1. its a wowzy! you made the complicated look fun! I enjoy following you on fb and therefore network blogs, but my favorite way to follow artists is google reader. Thanks for giving me smiles

    ReplyDelete