Thursday, January 24, 2013

Trying Something New-Aquaboard

"Trying Something New"
Watercolor on Aquaboard


The Dixie Girls Paint Challenge this past month has been "Favorite Things".  One of my favorite things is to try different things, go to new places, etc.  So for this painting challenge I used a different substrate.  Instead of painting on watercolor paper, which is what I typically do when I paint with watercolors, I painted on aquaboard.

I had seen some work by Kara Bidga as part of the Hurricane Sandy Relief Auction on Daily Paint Works and actually purchased one of her painting "Up Front".  This little jewel of a painting was painted on aquaboard.  It is a wonderful painting that makes me smile.  If you aren't familiar with Kara's work, her website is 


One of the interesting thing about Kara's painting was that it didn't need to be framed under glass.  I was intrigued.  So I got some aquaboard to give it a try.  "Trying Something New" is my first attempt with using aquaboard.  It is not for sale- it is going to take awhile to get use to this surface.  I'm not going to count the first attempt as a success.  There will definitely be a second attempt.

So here is to Trying Something New!




5 comments:

  1. Hey, this is great.. I had wondered what you painted on before I read your comment. the watermarks look richer and it holds light pigment well without it washing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The manufacturer says to brush it with water before you start which I did. Even with that the paint just stays on the surface and takes quite awhile to be absorbed. You can move it around and play with it quite a bit. I haven't varnished that one but have both matte and shiny spray varnish to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my favorites of yours- that surface gives a look that is so "watercolorish"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin-Tried oil painting on paper in a workshop I took this week. Definitely different. The paper just sucked up the moisture in the paint. Finish reminded me of your oil painting of the woman washing dishes. Both have that same almost pastel look. I'll have to post it...

    ReplyDelete